At 9:00 this morning I picked up my shiny new Apple Watch Sport 42mm Silver w/ White Sport Band at my local UPS warehouse. Pro tip: You can select to have your item left at the warehouse instead of going on a UPS truck, that way you can pick it up several hours earlier than the UPS truck would normally get it to you. I have been wearing it ever since and would like to give my first impressions on it. I am planning on reviewing it, but will need to spend much more time with it first.
- The Apple Watch is very easy and quick to set up. I was up and running in just a few minutes.
- The magnetic charging cable is pretty good. It attaches to the back very easily and it has a nice long cord.
- It really is beautiful. I love the way it looks and feels on my wrist.
- The raise to see the time gesture has worked flawlessly everytime so far for me. Just raise your arm and the watch comes alive. Put your arm back down and the screen turns off. Simple.
- The taptic touches you get when a notification comes in is so cool. It’s way different than a vibration, just a gentle tap on the wrist.
- Force touch is really cool. You just press harder on the screen than you normally would to bring up additional information. I really hope Apple adds this to the next iPhone.
- The digital crown on the side of the watch is great. Scrolling it with your finger is so smooth. It was a little looser than I was expecting, but it works great for scrolling through messages or emails.
- Making and receiving phone calls works fine. Yes, it is a little weird talking into your watch, but it’s also incredibly cool! I feel like a secret agent!
- Likewise, sending messages works great as well. You don’t type them out, but the watch will give you some suggestions or you can dictate a response. You can then either send the message it transcribed or just send the voice clip. It has worked great for me so far.
- I think I am really going to enjoy the fitness & activity apps. As I was driving for a couple of hours today, the watch tapped my wrist and said I should get up and stand for a little bit. Thanks, watch, I probably should!
- There’s already a really good selection of apps available for the watch. There are around 3,000 apps already available on the first day. A few I think are pretty neat are Overcast, Yelp, Instagram, ESPN, and Evernote.
- I was curious how noticeable it would be wearing it. My wife and I visited a large mall today and nobody seemed to notice it except a couple of employees at the Apple Store. It seems to blend in fairly well.
- Battery life seems like it will be fine. I charged it over 12 hours ago and it is at 63% right now. Of course, time will tell if this is always the case.
That’s it for now. I am really looking forward to spending more time with it. So far I am very pleased with it.
*Special thanks to my wife for taking the pictures in this post!*